Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lost an Inch and Gained a Million

Lost an Inch and Gained a Million

To day I was Attacked by our personal trainer when I was running to the other building to grab-n-go lunch. She wrapped a measuring tape around me and threw me on the scale. L I pleaded with her that I have not been working out and today was a VERY BAD day to measure and weight. Guess what? She did not care and did so anyway.

When I got back she told me that I had lost 1 inch off my waist. That was a pleasant surprise since I have been horrible at eating and have not worked out in quite some time.

So, in my slur of clients, students, attorneys, appointments, and this hectic day, I had a realization. I have lost an inch but gained a million in respect and apathy.

I was raised in a very opinionated family. I did gather my own opinion about certain things in life, but some were bred into my upbringing. (Yes I am being vague). For example, I once was irritated with people that did not speak at least some English, but now I am VERY understanding. Taking my Spanish class is HARD. It is hard learning Spanish for me so it is equally hard for people from other countries to learn English. Duh, where was my brain before?

I was also uneducated and ignorant to immigration. I was one of the people that forwarded those stupid emails or petitions about immigration and the negative jokes. I was one of “those people”. Within the last year I have stopped and now I send a reply stating that it is inappropriate for me to forward them (in my nicest typing tone). I have learned that there are so many reasons why immigrants aspire to live in the United States. I have found that in my conversations and research, a very large percentage of illegal immigrants are here to save their lives or flee from unimaginable conditions. Rape, molestation, abuse, poor health conditions, starvation and so much more, we should be proud to usher them in and save them.

So I am done with my soapbox talk. Now off to help another.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I like you. And I think your life-perspective is fabulous.

Dana said...

Diddo-babe. I hold the highest respect for you. I think you are a brilliant person and shine from the inside out.

Looking forward to seeing you carry that flag!